Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek, the New Movie

Hubby and I went to see the latest Star Trek movie. We aren't Trekkies, nor ever have been. However, we did watch the first Star Trek series and the other movies.

My sister was a Trekkie for a long time. Once on a visit to Las Vegas, we all went on the Star Trek virtual reality ride. And another time at Universal Studios, sis and my hubby were chosen to be characters in a movie they made on the spot. We still have the video of their exciting foray into acting.

When we got to the theater for the 10:10 a.m. showing, there was a line. Many were the type you'd expect to be Trekkies, but there were plenty of ordinary folks like us. One of the women from my critique group was there with her son--his Mother's Day present to her. They sat in front of us and laughed at all the same things we did.

What's so good about this particular movie is the young actors who play the major characters when they were young. I have no idea if they give Oscars for casting, but whoever picked these folks should get an Oscar.

No, of course they didn't look exactly like their counterparts, but they nailed the personalities and the nuances. I smiled through the whole movie. Certainly worth the price of the ticket. Take some time off and give yourself a treat, go see Star Trek.

Marilyn
a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn, Ed's company is actually paying for a whole bunch of us (employees and spouses) to go to a "Star Trek" showing this Friday night at a local Omnimax theatre. Popcorn and soda, too! Woo hoo! I can't wait. I'll have turned in COUGAR CLUB Friday, too, so I'll be ready to celebrate (or maybe fall asleep in my seat!). Your thumbs-up just made me that much more excited to see it. :-)

    Cheers,
    Susan
    http://SusanMcBride.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blown away by Star Trek. If you are a trekkie from the late 50's you'll get the nuances. If you aren't you'll enjoy a great movie anyway.

    Now very torn - Sylar (Heroes) bad - Spock good. Loved Zach Quinto.

    But there's a part in the movie even us trekkies didn't see coming - well done!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.