Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back from Epicon

Yep, I went to another convention--this time Epicon--the convention for electronically published authors. All cons are fun--unless you're someone who doesn't like to have a good time, and thank goodness, I'm not one of those.

This time we flew to Portland OR. Straight foreword to get there: Bakersfield to San Francisco to Portland. We had such a wild taxi ride to get to the hotel, I feared for my life (well, not really, but I did grip my hubby's hand pretty tightly.)

This was the kind of conference where there were panels to teach writers something. A whole track was on different kinds of promo--in fact I taught one on promoting trade paperbacks. Also taught another on Bringing Characters to Life. One of the others I went to that was fun was Mayhem and Murder (always good to learn more ways to do it), and a fun one on the serial killers that Oregon has produced. (Well, I am a mystery writer, after all.)

Best part of any of these shindigs is seeing old friends and meeting new ones--something we did a lot of. Though I came down with a cold or allergies or something annoying like that, I didn't let it stop me.

On Saturday night there was a great awards ceremony--far more entertaining than the Academy Awards even if I didn't win an Eppie for mystery. I'll just have to be happy being a finalist.

Sold a few books and bought some others.

The trip home was a bit stranger--Portland to Phoenix, Phoenix to Bakersfield. Of course there was a pile of mail, jobs to finish, laundry, and emails to answer. It was worth it.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it home, safe and sound. Your travel schedule would kill me! The workshops at Epicon sound great, especially the one on the Oregon serial killers.

    Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.